Summer is officially here!!! Yesterday was the first official day of summer and the longest daylight of the entire year! Here in Florida we have summer almost year round, but I thought it would be a good idea to remind you all of a few sun safety tips to stay safe in the sun this summer!!!
If that title hasn’t tongue twisted you enough, here are your 6 “S’s” to keep you sun safe:
- Apply SUNSCREEN – Duh! This one should be a no brainer but make sure you and your littles are always protected with a good SPF. Even when it’s cloudy you need to wear it. Up to 80% of the suns rays can penetrate through the clouds! Also, did you know it takes up to 30 minutes for sunscreen active ingredients to soak into your skin?? I did not! Also, remember to reapply every 2 hours and more often when you get out of the pool/sweat a lot. You want a minimum of 30 SPF but the more, the better…especially for little ones with more sensitive and fair skin.
- SIP on water – It’s super important for your body and your skin to stay hydrated! Thirst is a sign that your body is already dehydrated so don’t wait until you are thirsty..drink water throughout the day…especially if you are outside!
- Put on SUNGLASSES – Your eyes need sun protection too and since you can’t cover them in sunscreen, you need to wear sunglasses that block the suns harmful rays from your precious eyes! Choose shades that offer 100% protection from both UVA and UVB rays!
- Cover your SKIN – Especially here in Florida you need to always take extra precautions with your skin! Using sunscreen is great but you also need to use your clothing to also help block the sun. Whether on the beach or at a theme park or at the pool…anywhere outdoors…make sure you dress appropriately! Don’t wait until you start to feel cooked because by then you are already sunburnt!
- SEEK SHADE – Staying out in the sun nonstop is not only a risk for your skin it’s also a risk for heat stroke. Make sure you take numerous breaks in the shade to help cool your body temperature down. The hottest time of day and strongest rays from the sun are between the hours of 10am-4pm. Try to take extra precautions during that time frame.
- Wear a SOMBRERO – Haha, ok that last “S” was a little bit of a stretch but sombrero is hat in Spanish and wearing a hat is another important part of staying sun safe! Choose a hat with a wide brim or has a flap in the back to help cover your ears and neck. It also protects your head and your face (which is pretty important) and another line of defense against the sun’s harmful rays!
And if the sun is just too much you can do #7 which is STAY inside!!!
Have fun enjoying the outdoors this summer and remember to take LOTS of photos to capture your fun memories!!! And a bonus #8 tip for an indoor or outdoor activity is to SCHEDULE a portrait session with me!!! 😉
p.s. don’t forget to check out our Summer Schedule at the studio
p.p.s. if you love our “Blue Lagoon” background and want us to use it in your summer session, just let us know when booking your appointment! We will have it set up and ready to go for your baby or toddler 🙂