My oh my how the time does fly. In fact I have said this so much during James’s first year that “Time Flies” is the theme of his First Birthday Party!
I can not believe I am sitting here tonight blogging about my baby boy’s first birthday smash cake session. Although James is my second child, this year being his mommy has taught me so much. I thought it would be fun as I share with you his first birthday smash cake portraits to tell you a few of the things I learned.
- Boys are very different from girls. – I am not talking the biology differences I am talking about EVERYTHING! From the way he snuggles with me to the mischief he is already getting in to … James is an entirely different baby then Eryn. We have already had to lock things up high because he is a CLIMBER!
2. Breastfeeding has been one of my greatest joys – I didn’t breastfeed Eryn because of some issues we had and was determined that things would be different with James. Although we started off rough (like minutes from throwing in the towel) I am so happy I stuck with it and found the perfect doula and support friends to help me on this journey. I have treasured every moment (except the time he bit me) and so happy I made this choice. If you are a new mom and need someone to chat with about the ups and downs of breastfeeding, drop me an email … I will be real with you!
3. No matter how much I plan, I am never prepared – James has taught me to let go of my Type A scheduling personality. This must be God’s way of getting me to relax. I am such a scheduler and James … well he has other ideas. No sooner am I sure I have his nap schedule figured out and make plans for 11am, he decides … guess what .. I am going to nap until Noon!
4. His big sister LOVES him, and I mean LOVES him – While pregnant, Eryn and I would dream together about what having a baby boy would be like. Me as a mommy and her as a big sister. I knew she was going to love having him around, but I didn’t realize just HOW MUCH her love would be. I also didn’t realize how much he would love her. When she walks in the room or goes to play with him his eyes light up and he smiles from ear to ear. I love watching them together. When James was born they became instant best friends.
5. Silly songs are the best! – All my life I have been known to randomly come up with silly songs. My friends and family love to make fun of me. Now having a baby boy my silly song lyrics are on hyper drive. I have songs for everything … bath time, diaper changing, putting on lotion, getting in the car, and other random songs that just come to me when the mood strikes. James likes them … they always make him smile. So everyone else can laugh … I don’t care
6. I got over the “journey of the germ” – It wasn’t too far in to James’s life and I had to get past the germ thing. Although I am still very careful about what he puts in his mouth, he doesn’t seem to care about germs and all things gross and disgusting. If he sees it and finds it before I do, it is going in his mouth. No joke, being this boy’s mom is a constant battle of making sure he doesn’t choke on the Lego that his big sister left on the floor or eating the love bug that up and died in our entry way. Every time I see his dirty hands going in his mouth I keep telling myself “he is going too have a strong immunity system”!
7. Sleep is for another time – I haven’t had more than 4-5 hours sleep in a row since James was born. I am amazed at how I am able to fully function with so little sleep! I mean I know my husband makes the worlds best coffee but lets be real here …. sleep would be nice. I have read every book, tried every method … bottom line my little man just doesn’t like to sleep for long stretches of time. Maybe one day again I will have the luxury of 8 hours of straight sleep!
8. Back up to the back up outfits – One extra outfit in the diaper bag is just never enough. I am amazed at how quickly a little boy can pee on more than one outfit for the day or spit up when he hasn’t spit up for months, or turn his food pouch completely upside down and giggle as it drizzles out all over his pants. Yes … he is a messy boy and I do a lot of laundry.
9. Baby laughs never get old – I mean never! I know all of James’s tickle spots and the games that make him belt out a true belly laugh. I have recorded his laugh so that I will never forget what it sounds like and to cheer me up when I am having one of those days. If you haven’t recorded your baby’s laugh … do it now!
10. Nobody will ever love me more – This year has had its shares of ups and downs. Through all of it, my favorite lesson has been learning my baby’s overwhelming and unconditional love for me. I can see it in his eyes, in his smile and feel it in the way he holds on to me. Parenting is hard. Nobody gives you an instruction manual on what to do. However, even on the most sleepless of nights, feeling his love makes every moment of being his mom worth it. For all you parents out there, embrace your child’s love for nobody will ever love you more.
I hope you enjoyed my sweet boy’s first birthday balloon portraits and of course his smash cake, while reading just a few of my thoughts from the year. If you are a mom I am sure you have also learned a few things or two from your baby, if you are pregnant … oh my your journey in true love is about to begin!